THE Global Justice Movement Website

THE Global Justice Movement Website
This is the "Global Justice Movement" (dot org) we refer to in the title of this blog.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What I am Fighting For, II

Charles F. Lennon, Jr., Executive Director of the Notre Dame Alumni Association, hasn't had time yet to respond to my earlier reply to his e-mail to me, but I took another opportunity to bring him up to date. While Mr. Lennon hasn't yet gotten back to me, another alumnus, Dr. Samuel Nigro of Cleveland, sent me a nice note about the effort, especially the focus on health care. Thanks, Sam!

Charles F. Lennon, Jr., ND '62
Executive Director
Notre Dame Alumni Association

Dear Mr. Lennon:

Thank you for your second e-mail, this one regarding the ad during the Notre Dame/Michigan game this past Saturday. I appreciate it as I watch the game on television with the sound off, and generally ignore commercials.

Nevertheless, as I stated in my previous e-mail, the campaign raises an important issue concerning the role of Notre Dame and the impact it can have on the surrounding culture in the United States and throughout the world. For that reason I am taking the time to draw your attention to an effort ("Saving Notre Dame") to make certain that the University retains its special character and maintains its unique traditions. I have publicized this to a limited extent on our blog, which can either be accessed directly, or through the link on the web site of our interfaith Center for Economic and Social Justice ("CESJ"), www.cesj.org.

Since you mentioned the issue specifically in your e-mail, you might be especially interested in CESJ's proposed Doctors' Plan for Universal Health Care, designed to address the problem of the millions of Americans without health care coverage, or who have inadequate coverage.

In view of the traditional concern of Notre Dame alumni for social justice, I would also like to draw your attention to Introduction to Social Justice by one of CESJ's co-founders, the late Father William J. Ferree, S.M., Ph.D., Chairman of Dayton University, as well as our overall pro life economic program embodied in our book, Capital Homesteading for Every Citizen (2004).

If any of this interests you, I urge you in the strongest possible terms to make contact with CESJ's president, Dr. Norman G. Kurland, whom I am cc.ing on this e-mail, along with CESJ friends Dr. Charles Rice of the Notre Dame Law School and Father Edward Krause, C.S.C., Ph.D. (fellow alumnus and son of Notre Dame's long-term Athletic Director, "Moose" Krause), who recently participated in the First Social Justice Collaborative in St. Louis, at which I delivered the keynote address.

Donations to CESJ are tax deductible in the United States under IRC § 501(c)(3):